Monday, November 26, 2012

Panels and Windows

With the roof and corrugated walls up, time to move on to the wall panels. Instrux say to stain them with aluminum paint and then varnish with Man'O War. I decided that my plywood was too pretty to stain, and Man'O War is not available in CA (I prefer the cleanish air, so its ok). So, I'm using several coats of satin Varthane marine varnish. I now have a semi-protected space to do the varnishing in, so after getting the panels cut to size I moved sawhorses into the MD100.


 There is one large panel on the side that I thought would be a good "benchmark" spot, so I made an outline of the kids at their current heights. It will be fun in a few years to see how short they were. I had the panel propped up on a block of wood so it was at the right height for the outline, then flipped it into the building for its turn at the varnish table:

Finally got the panels up in the evening a few days later: dark happens early this time of year. I did buy some shorter stainless square drive screws for attaching these panels, because they're much spiffier-looking than deck screws, what with being shiny and having the square hole in them. (I drilled pilot holes.) I'm holding off on one panel because I am installing a small a/c unit in that spot and I'm not sure how I want to cut it yet. While waiting for the panels to dry, I was priming the rest of the exterior bare wood. I couldn't find much in the way of decently straight or smooth furring strips reasonably priced, so hubby and I ripped down four 8' 2x4s into 16 3/4"x1.5" strips to frame in the windows, you can see them primed and drying below, too:

South side:
North side:


1 comment: